Game almost unplayable for a few days now

Discussion in 'Dead Star Support' started by macanri, Aug 7, 2016.

1. macanri

macanri Well-Known Member

Sometimes it will be going alright, and I've had a few games that were Ok, but especially the last two days have been horrendous with the lag (if you can even call it "lag", which connotes something simply being slow, whereas this is totally erratic). My ship will just start jumping all over the screen, veering off in a direction out of control, spinning, etc. Completely unplayable when it happens. Then it will go back to normal for a few seconds or minute or however long it takes. Often it is when there is a lot of activity on the screen but not always. Sometimes it will happen when I'm the only one on the screen.

I've read the thread about MTU settings and tried changing mine but it didn't have any effect. Do you think this is simply a problem with my connection or is there a possibility it's something else? I have tried resetting my router, modem, etc. and nothing has seemed to help.

2. XTGeminiman

XTGeminiman Well-Known Member

I think it's your internet man. I would recommend hardwiring your PS4 to your internet. I used to just use a wireless router but when I would invade bases in MGS5, I kept getting booted and would lose all my points. I've had it hardwired ever since.

3. macanri

I'm calling my ISP tomorrow. It wasn't like this up until like 2 or 3 days ago, at which point it became unbearable. I wasn't able to play an entire match of DS at all today, despite trying probably more than a dozen times.

And unfortunately hard wiring is not an option for me because I don't even have a line coming to this building. I'm sharing with someone else and take the connection wirelessly (with permission) from next door. I'd have to pay to have an entire other line run here and that's a bunch of money. I live in the woods and my options are somewhat limited as a result.

4. What's_upchuck

What's_upchuck Well-Known Member

From now on I shall only ever imagine you playing DS while perched in the tree tops.

Sunsheine, macanri and wundurer like this.
  5. macanri

Sounds.... precarious ;)

6. Sunsheine

Sunsheine Well-Known Member

7. Jon_Taylor_01

Jon_Taylor_01 Member

You should ask if they'd install a repeater for you, if it is the signal. It may be that your neighbor is bumping up on bandwidth limits, too. If you have multiple devices on the neighbor's network, you should consider turning all but the PS4 off or disabling the wifi on them.

You can "ping -t [router internal IP address]" from a network-connected PC next time it is bad to see if the latency is local, and then try a remote (Internet) host to see if there is an ISP-related issue.

Security-wise, being on your neighbor's network is a horrible idea (for both of you). I'd pay the money for a dedicated line, especially playing a game where milliseconds count. I wonder if your neighbor is logging all your website visits...

8. macanri

I figured out today that the problem is on my end. It is either the wireless access point or the router that needs replacing. I've had bad luck with WAPs in general - they seem to have a very short lifespan before they just die or start working really badly. I went next door where the actual connection is and did a speed test and got 10Mbps whereas at my house I have been lucky to get 2Mbps the last few days. Like I said, this isn't usually the way it behaves so, even though the setup is not ideal, it was usable up until very recently. My brother usually has a bunch of spare components kicking around because of his job so I'm gonna call him tomorrow and see if he has a WAP and a router I can have or borrow to see if things improve. I strongly suspect it's the WAP.

I think last time I checked it was literally going to cost over $1000 to run a new line here. It's not as simple as someone just installing a line and a jack or whatever, it would be like putting up a whole new pole coming from the road because I'm too far from it. Unless I move, I kinda have to deal with what I've got, I'm afraid. If I replace whatever is failing on my end, it should go back to working the way it was, and will probably cost less than $50. It's true security isn't great, but out here there isn't a whole lot to worry about. I can't even see any of the other local networks from my computer because they're too far away, so if someone wanted to use ours they'd have to be camped out in the woods or on the side of the dirt road I live on ;)

What's_upchuck likes this.